Search This Blog

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Guide

Any book is a self-help guide if you can take something from it.
~ Kevin Smith
- - - - -

Though I was exhausted, I tried to make conversation with the shuttle driver who took me to the airport.  I asked if he was from the area and how he liked living there.  He talked about his life a little bit.  He said he was very familiar with that part of the country, but had traveled other places, too.  He liked traveling and writing and barbecue.

He said, "I thought about writing a BBQ restaurant guide one time.  The problem is that the open and close so fast that it would be out of date right away."

I suggested that he could write a guide book for closed barbecue restaurants.  He laughed.  He said that was a good idea.

Then he talked about his travels and how he sometimes found places to stay on a web site.  I forget what it was called, but basically it was for people who just opened up their homes to overnight guests.  That was strange, I thought.  And risky.  

Actually, he was sort of a weird man.  But not in a creepy way.  In a short story way.

No comments:

Post a Comment