Search This Blog

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Sunset

Sunset on the water ought to be a quiet and easy time, but I guess some people can't stand a little silence.
~ Carl Hiaasen
- - - - -

I love silence.  And sunsets.  And water.

Does that mean I can't stand people who can't stand a little silence? Not necessarily.  I might not understand them, but can't stand and can't understand are two different things.

One means you can't tolerate them.
The other means you can't comprehend them.

Those are different.  But not opposites.  

Why isn't there an "overstand?"  As in, "I can't overstand that guy."

Wait.  I guess there is.  It's a nautical term.  About overreaching.  And I saw it referenced on a Rastafarian blog.  About absorbing knowledge without being subordinate to that knowledge.  I think.

We should use it more.  Fully integrate it into our vocabulary.  Do you overstand what I'm saying?

And how come there is a night stand, but not a day stand?  I could go on and on...

And I often do. 

But not this time.

I'm done now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment