Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Stop

Go on till you come to the end; then stop.
~ Lewis Carroll
- - - - -

Some people don't realize they have come to the end.  Some people don't stop.  They wait too long.  They wait forever.  Actually they aren't waiting at all.  They are continuing.  Without stopping.  That is the mistake.

Stopping is when the answers come.  Stopping is when perspective happens.  Stopping is when you breathe and rest and think and exist.  

Some people wish they had stop signs, I bet.  Signs to tell them to stop doing things.  Warnings.  Messages right before their faces.  But just because you ignore a stop sign doesn't mean you haven't gone through a stop.  You've still broken the law.  And saying you didn't see it won't work if you get pulled over.  

We forget, I think, that sometimes stopping isn't forever.  Maybe even most times stopping isn't forever.  You stop.  You wait.  And when the time is right you go again.

And if you don't make the choice to stop when you should, then you will be stopped by something beyond your control.  

Am I suggesting you take a moment now?  And stop?  And think about what I've written here?

Yes.

But think about other things, too.  Like how you can thank me for encouraging you to stop.  Think about how precious I am to you.  Think about some grand gesture you could make to pay me back - in some way - for what I've given to you here.

(pause)

Take your time.  And when you get a good idea, then un-stop and do that nice thing for me.

And also, you're welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment