Search This Blog

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Friendship

Be courteous to all, but intimate with few and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
~ George Washington
- - - - -

I think that timing is very important in friendship.  You have to make time to develop that friendship.  Obviously.  Friendship is not going to be consistently a matter of convenience.  If you're lucky it is convenient occasionally.

I have discovered that some of my best friendships are ones that didn't start out as friendships.  They didn't necessarily start out as enemyships, but they evolved over time.  They took some work.

And what is really awesome about these relationships is that they surprise other people outside of the friendship.  Stephanie and I were having a conversation about this the other day.  She said that some people are surprised that the two of us are friends.  I agreed and said that I think WE are surprised that we are friends.

But we are.  

There's no way we could have been friends 20 years ago.  We were different people then.  

And we didn't live anywhere near each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment