Search This Blog

Monday, May 5, 2014

Writing


Everyone needs an editor.
~ Tim Foote
- - - - -

I try to do a good job when I get the chance to read other people's drafts.  I edit pretty liberally and share my thoughts and try to fully engage with the material.  I figure that if they went to the trouble to write it and share it then I should be attentive and give the best feedback I can when I respond.  

I really like making comments on papers.  And I like doing it in writing rather than electronically.  Sometimes you have to do it electronically, I know.  For some people it might be their preference.  For me, I like to touch the papers and be more connected to the work.  Well, if it is a paper.  If it's a resume or a cover letter or something where "track changes" is more suitable, I do that.

Anyway, all the time people say to me, "You must be a perfect writer since you are so brilliant at giving feedback, Dr. Awesome."  I chuckle.  Not when they say that.  I chuckle because you maybe believed me when I said people say that to me all the time.  They don't.  Should they?  Well, who am I to judge, but yes they should.

My point here is that I sometimes write things that are not very good.  For example, I was just doing an article review and I re-read my comments.  This is what I had written, "This is referenced for the purpose of reference only."

Fortunately, that was an electronic edit.  I deleted it.  Now no one will ever know about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment