Search This Blog

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Growing

Most people don't grow up.  It's too damn difficult.  What happens is most people get older.  That's the truth of it...  But to grow up costs the earth, the earth.  It means you take responsibility for the time you take up, for the space you occupy.  It's serious business.  And you find out what it costs us to love and to lose, to dare and to fail.  And maybe even more, to succeed.  What it costs, in truth.
- - - - -

Had lunch yesterday with my two best childhood friends - Joel and Dave.  It was excellent.  I was thinking about our growing up together and how the two of them would tell me, "You're too young.  You wouldn't understand," when they were talking to each other.  I was maybe a few months younger than they were.  It used to infuriate me.

At lunch, I realized that now the tables are turned.  And instead, I can now say to them, "You're too old.  You wouldn't remember."

Life is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment