Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Plans

Without leaps of imagination or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities.  Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning.
~ Gloria Steinem
- - - - -

I don't like to make plans for my free time.  Once you plan something, it's no longer free.  It's a commitment.  Bound to something.  It doesn't allow for spontaneity.  I don't like that in my private life.  I have enough of that in my work life.

Now, that said, there are times when making plans is a good thing.  Not everything in life can happen spontaneously.  Some things need to be planned.  And some plans are good.  They give you the chance to do fun things.  And to tell people about the fun things you are going to do.

Like last week when Rose emailed me.

Rose:  Do you have any plans for the weekend?

Me:  Yes.  I'm going to go put on a gorilla costume and do a 5K and break a world record.

Rose did not respond for a long time.  A really long time, it seemed.  Then she did.

Rose:  Without seeing your face, I can't tell if you're telling the truth or not.  Because that sounds like something you would probably do.

You know me so well, Rose.  It was something I probably would (did) do.

No comments:

Post a Comment