Search This Blog

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Dialogue


I really don't like going out. I don't like restaurants because I don't like the idea of someone, a waitress, being responsible for my evening. I like seconds, and more, and lots of conversation, and I've always hated the idea that in a restaurant an evening just ends. I find that incredibly depressing.
~ Amy Sedaris

- - - - -

From: Michelle 
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:08 AM
To:  Ryan  
Subject: Questions

1.      How is Emi?  I saw she tried a shrimp po’ boy (I always hated saying “po’ boy” when I lived in Arkansas, but I loved them, so I adjusted).
2.      When do you come back to town?  As Ellis Boyd ‘Red’ Redding said in the movie Shawshank Redemption, “Sometimes it makes me sad, though, [RYAN] being gone. I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright and when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice, but still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone. I guess I just miss my friend.
3.      How was the conference?

I hope you’re having a great time.  See you soon.

Michelle.

From: Ryan 
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:21 AM
To: Michelle 
Subject: RE: Questions

Hi Michelle. Flat emi is now in nyc with uncle rod. I return to ames on the 20th. Rock on!

Do I think my friend Ryan only answered certain questions or responded to certain things because he is too busy to engage with my full topics of conversation?  No.  I think he only answered certain questions or responded to certain things because he was so moved by (concerned about?) my connecting him leaving Iowa to a movie about prison that he couldn't fully respond.

You will note that he DID respond in a very timely manner, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment