Search This Blog

Friday, October 14, 2011

Mistakes

The day is committed to error and floundering; success and achievement are matters of long range.
~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- - - - -

I agree with the concept that if you don't make mistakes you aren't taking risks.  We wouldn't have things like airplanes or hotdogs without risk takers.

I also agree that this is another examples of a situation where deconstructing a word helps us understand it better.  

"Mistakes" = "my stakes."  MY = something belonging to me.  STAKES = A piece of wood or metal pointed at one end for driving into the ground as a marker, fence pole, or tent peg.  Therefore, mistakes literally means my thing for holding up a tent.

The other way of deconstructing this is "mist" "akes."  That means that your body hurts when it's misty outside if you have arthritis.  

No comments:

Post a Comment