Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Superstition

(photo by Maddie Fowler)
“It is safe to say that no other superstition is so detrimental to growth, so enervating and paralyzing to the minds and hearts of the people, as the superstition of Morality.
~ Emma Goldman
- - - - - 

On our campus we have a zodiac in the entry to the Memorial Union.  Superstition has it that if you walk ON the zodiac, you will fail your next exam.  I was walking by the union the other day and I overheard this conversation.

Student 1:  DUDE!  You just totally walked on the zodiac.  You're going to fail your test tomorrow.

Student 2:  You know what?  That's superstition.  I don't have to walk on that thing to fail.  I can fail that test without even stepping on the zodiac.


For the record, I don't know if I agree with the Emma Goldman quote above or not, but it certainly gives us all something to think about now, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment