Search This Blog

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Bike

The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands, and when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community.
~ Ann Strong
- - - - -

I was fortunate enough to be able to take some time off between Iowa State and Clemson.  I did some work during that time - reading and writing (but no 'arithmetic to speak of).  I had some time away from technology and some time to relax and let go of what my job had been and get ready for what my job will now be.

My first day of work was a Catholic holiday, so Leslie didn't have work.  On that day she got a new bike and went for a nice bike ride.  Well, she said it was nice, I'm trusting her on that.

My workday consisted of an orientation in the morning, lunch with other new faculty and the president, then going around campus on a very hot and humid day to get my ID and keys.  When I made my third walk up one hill on campus I thought, "How come Leslie gets today off and I have to work?!"

Again, this was after a month of not working.  It was ridiculous.  Absurd even.  I can't believe me - I can be a baby sometimes.  

(pause)

But most times I'm pretty nice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment