Search This Blog

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Love

You have to walk carefully in the beginning love; the running across fields into your lover's arms can only come later when you're sure they won't laugh if you trip.
~ Jonathan Carroll
- - - - -

I like to play with the lyrics in existing songs.  Lots of times I think I can come up with better words than the ones in the actual song.  But that's how I am.  Pretty full of my songwriting self.

Here is an example I thought of a few months ago when Leslie called the Campanile a "Concubine."  

My funny concubine,
Sweet comic concubine,
You make me smile with my heart.
Your looks are laughable.
Unphotographable.
Yet you're my favourite work of art.

Is your figure less than Greek?
Is your mouth a little weak?
When you open it to speak
Are you smart?

But don't change a hair for me.
Not if you care for me.
Stay little concubine stay.
Each day is Concubine's Day.

I know it isn't my most creative work.  And I'm not 100% sure I'm an advocate for "Concubine's Day."  Still thinking (though not too much) on that.

Oh, and for the record, if I saw someone running across a field in a sprint of love and they fell, I'd laugh.  Whether it was beginning love or later love.  I would definitely ask about broken hips and chipped teeth, but I would be laughing while I asked.  

Valentine's Day is so romantic.

No comments:

Post a Comment