Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

$1

The value of a dollar is social, as it is created by society.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
- - - - -

I am not sure if this promotional display is emphasizing how much or how little a dollar can buy.  I suppose it depends on whom you are.  I suppose it depends on how much you like corned beef hash and canned mackerel.  Or maybe it just depends on how hungry you are.  And maybe that says a lot about how we treat people who have less money than other people.  No, sorry.  Not maybe.

I don't know that I would spend a dollar on most of these items.  Maybe an Andrew Johnson dollar.  He wasn't a very good president.  Or Buchanan.  Or Harding.  

On a not-very-related note, it would be ironic to buy a teapot with Harding dollars, wouldn't it?

(pause)

Trust me.  It would be a little ironic.

No comments:

Post a Comment