Search This Blog

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Snake

 Use your enemy's hand to catch a snake.
~ Persian Proverb
- - - - -

When I was driving to Pennsylvania on my move from Iowa last summer, I talked for a while with my friend Amy.  One of the things she shared was that one of her kids wants to be a herpetologist.  She was in the car with her kids and I asked her what they wanted to be when they grow up.

Amy:  Well, one of them has wanted to be a herpetologist since he was little.  (talking to her son) What do you want to be when you grow up?

From back seat:  A herpetologist.

So...  When we were in Canada, there were two snakes that would come out every day.  One was on the dock in front of the main cabin, the other was on the path between the main cabin and our cabin.  For some reason I decided the one in front was a "he" and the one in back was a "she."  That annoyed Leslie who wanted to call them both "it."

Anyway, the snakes were easy going.  They let me get pretty close to them.  I took some photos (like the one above). 

When I got back to PA, I figured I would try to find out what kind of snakes they were.  I did a little research and as near as I can tell they are Nerodia sipedon - or northern water snakes.  They are non-venemous.  They can sometimes be confused with copperheads or cottonmouths. 

I thought it was interesting seeing them.  As long as I was the one moving toward them.  I didn't like it so much when they moved toward me.  But then, I'm kind of like that with people, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment