Search This Blog

Monday, May 3, 2010

Bones

The past is never dead. It's not even past.
~ William Faulkner

-----

I am not generally one to photograph roadkill or carcasses, but when I saw this the other day, I had to turn the car around and take a photo. I don't understand how this happens. No, this is not some reflection on life and death, but more about curb appeal.

This was not far from a nice-ish looking farmhouse. I can't imagine that they didn't see it there -- the grass was mown. It had to have bee there for a long time. So, someone left this rotting animal -- a deer maybe? A dog? -- long enough for it to become just a bunch of bones. Not something I see every day.

It does remind me of a hike that Elizabeth and I took a few years ago. While we were out, she found the jawbone of a skunk or a raccoon. She kept it for a long time and took it for show and tell to school. I wonder what Elizabeth will be when she grows up. A forensic forest ranger, perhaps...

No comments:

Post a Comment