Search This Blog

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Science


The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries is not, 'Eureka!' (I found it!), but 'That's funny...'"
~ Isaac Asimov

-----

So Maddie spent most of the past week working on a science project. She could either make a car that ran on balloon air or a roller coaster. She chose to make the roller coaster. Chris took her and got the supplies and she did all of the work on it herself.

She turned it in today and her teacher LOVED it. She asked Maddie if she could keep the marbles that ran through the coaster to show the other classes. All the kids said they saw her roller coaster. It was awesome.

"Aren't you proud she did it on her own?" you might want to ask me. The answer is no. Because how do I get praise when she did the work on her own? Who is there to say to me, "Good work, Michelle!" when the project is graded? No one, that's who. I suppose now she'll go on to high school and then to college and want all the credit for the work she does there, too.

On an interestingly related note, she realized at 10:30 last night when she had finished her roller coaster that she hadn't done her social studies assignment. GREAT. The kid focuses on things like "science" and "physics" and "major project worth a ton of her grade" and overlooks SOCIAL STUDIES. What kind of future does she expect to have in science? Sheesh.

1 comment:

  1. I have a list of science projects that my Dad Friend noted from his son's 6th grade science fair in DC. They are great, cheap and easy. Plus I added more ideas I found on the web for same: cheap, easy and great.

    at http://PragmaticMom.com

    Pragmatic Mom
    Type A Parenting for the Modern World

    ReplyDelete