Search This Blog

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Travel

A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike.
And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless.
We find that after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us.
~ John Steinbeck

-----

Next weekend Maddie and I are going on a trip to Hannibal, MO. She just finished reading Tom Sawyer in school. I suggested to her that Huckelberry Finn is a better book, but she said too many parents get upset with it, so they read Tom Sawyer, instead.

Anyway, I am very excited about this trip. I missed the chance to take her to Little Rock when she was writing a paper on the Little Rock Nine, so I've been looking for a trip for us to take related to her school.

I told Chris maybe we should listen to some Mark Twain books on tape on the way down. She looked at me like I have no idea what a 14 year old girl would like as a part of a weekend trip.

I am thinking of putting together a playlist of songs that Maddie should know. Her musical knowledge does't go back too far. She likes "Cherry Pie" by Warrant, as an example of an "oldie." As you can see, I have my work cut out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment