Search This Blog

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Reataurant

If anything is good for pounding humility into you permanently, it's the restaurant business.
~ Anthony Bourdain
- - - - -

So this place is where the A&W used to be between Altoona and Rake, Iowa. We would stop there sometimes on our way to Grandma and Grandpa Boettchers. Of course Erik and I (and later Kirk) could never get root beer because it would make us car sick, but Dad could get root beer.

That's not the point.  What IS the point, you ask? Is it about memories? No. Is it about change? No. Is it about the powerlessness of children? No. Is it about travel or reflection or humor or any of that?

No. It's about the fact that this is a restaurant where a restaurant used to be. It is about the fact that the last time I posted a blog about restaurants, I accidentally typed "reataurant" instead of "restaurant." It's about the idea that restaurant is actually kind of a good word because you eat at a restaurant as much as you rest there.

Mostly it's because one of my students said, "I love reataurants" when I posted with the typo. It's about her bravery and humor especially since she hasn't passed the course she is taking with me and she is expecting to graduate this spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment