Search This Blog

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Seeing

We see in order to move; we move in order to see.
~ William Gibson
- - - - -

A few weeks ago when Leslie and I went out of town for the weekend, I took this photo. I took one before it as the sun was setting, but then realized I hadn't held the camera still enough, so it was a little blurry. Then I decided to intentionally move the camera to make some images even more blurry.

This is one of the images I ended up with.

It's funny to me that we so often focus on - there.  See what I accidentally did? I said "focus" in that sentence. That wasn't intentional, but it proves the point I was about to make. As I was saying, we so often focus on getting things precise and well-defined - we search for clarity, when that is maybe neither desirable nor achievable. 

Focus is about definition. Presence is about being. To be honest, I think the image above probably captures more about how it felt to be there that evening than if it had been in focus and you could see the trees and the dock more clearly.

Maybe some people want things clearly defined. Then they should buy their own damn cameras.

No comments:

Post a Comment