Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Understanding

Don't criticize what you can't understand.
~ Bob Dylan
- - - - -

Song lyrics are hard. Sometimes you can't understand the singer because he mumbles or the volume is down too low or she uses words that you never heard before. That's part of the blessing of music, I think. Songs mean what you need them to mean. The same lyrics could be something totally different to you than to me. Meaningful still, but meaningfully different.

Like the song "Wonderful World" recorded by Louis Armstrong.

You might hear "The bright blessed days... the dark sacred night."

Not me.  I don't hear that.  Instead, I hear:

"The bright blessed days...  The dogs say goodnight."

And I think to myself... What a wonderful world where dogs could say goodnight to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment