Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Infinite

 
To see the world in a grain of sand, and to see heaven in a wild flower,
hold infinity in the palm of your hands, and eternity in an hour.
~ William Blake
- - - - -
 
I think that creativity opens the door to the infinite.  That we have so many ideas and object and personalities that we can create and recreate in infinite ways.  That each context in which we create means that even a recreation is new because it is done in a new moment.

A while ago I visited friends and their child was singing...
 
Jordan:  Oh, my darlin', oh, my darlin', oh my darlin' Clementine...
 
(pause)
 
Jordan:  Oh, my darlin', oh, my darlin', oh my darlin' Valentine...

The song existed before.  The child existed before.  The new combination was created and unique.  Maybe someone else thought of it in some other context, but it was new and unique and individual to this set of circumstances.

Or you could just say that the kid got the lyrics wrong.  But that would make you a butthead.  And not all enlightened.  Like me.


No comments:

Post a Comment