Search This Blog

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Conversation, Part 3


Anyone who thinks the art of conversation is dead 
ought to tell a child to go to bed.
~ Robert C. Gallagher
- - - - -

Kirk:  Which show was it in the 80s where someone got killed?  What it My Sister Sam.

Me:  I don't remember if she was killed, but she was stalked.  Not Pam whatshername from Mork.  The other one.

Kirk:  That's right.  Someone from that show was just on 25,000 Pyramid and I was just thinking it's strange that isn't on in reruns ever.  I forgot that was the woman from Mork and Mindy.  Did you see Robin Williams has a new sitcom that's gonna be on CBS?  OH - long story that reminded me about this...  do you know who Andrea Martin is?

Me:  Yes.  Did she die?

Kirk:  No!  She just won the Tony for best supporting actress.  We saw her in Pippin in Boston before it transferred to NYC and she was AMAZING!  She was the only award I really cared about this year, cause she was SO GOOD!

Me:  I heard about her on NPR and how she took on a lot of the physical aspects of the role she dint' have to but wanted to - even though she is 60-something.

Kirk:  Yeah!  She is the grandmother and wears basically a corset and is suspended from like 20 feet in the air upside down signing.  She was SO GOOD!

Me:  I didn't know she knew sign language.  That is really awesome.  Or is it "sighing."  That wouldn't be that hard.

Kirk:  It was the strangest part of any musical ever.  It was real quiet.

Me:  That made me laugh out loud in my office.  Which I try to never do.  It spoils my ENFORCER image.

Kirk:  They just think you were laughing at someone getting a parking ticket or a kitten getting squished by something like a sack of flour.

Me;  It's wrong, but reading those things DID make me laugh.  I don't think I'd laugh at kittensquish, though. Which would be a good band name.

Kirk:  They do songs like The New Christy Minstrels... and some German Punk rock.

Me:  Der Neu Kristi Meinstrels.

Kirk:  Doesn't that translate to "kittensquish?"

Me:  Ja.

Kirk:  Were YOU a mime in high school????  I think I know about this one.

Me:  I do not think I was a mime in high school.  Where are you getting this information?  It is possible I blocked it out.

Kirk:  I was a mime in high school.  I got in trouble.

Me:  All mimes should get in trouble then get in carcerated.

Kirk:  I think it was cause I made too much noise.

Me:  Figures.  What's mime is yours.  How ironic if a mime does jazzhands, huh?

Kirk:  Like.  I'm running to get some lunch.  Have a good day...  I'm sure it'll pale in comparison to this conversation... but still try.

Me:  I will try.  It will pale.

Kirk:  Oh, did I tell you about the independent study I'm doing next semester?

Me:  No.  (pause)  And you still haven't.

Kirk:  2 of my four classes are independent studies.  I'm TA-ing for the intro seminar in the theatre department... but I'm also doing one in the history department on the history of the minstrel show.  I'm really excited!!!  I've been trying to set up that minstrel show one for 2 years, and found someone who was really excited to help.

Me:  I think I'm teaching Basic Research methods this fall.  Jealous?

Kirk:  Ummmm...  uh huh.  That sounds like a  neat thing.

Me:  I'm going to teach it in mime.

Kirk:  Are you just going to yell, "Get a $%#$#^#$%#$# library card!"

Me:  I am now.

Kirk:  Don't yell if you're a mime.

Me:  Great strategy.  Forget the mime.

Kirk:  Thanks.  I should write educational syllabi for a living.

Me:  You should.  Aren't you so huuuuuungry?

Kirk:  I am wasting away.  Bye.

Me:  Bye.  Go catch a lobster in your back yard or something. (pause) HA.  Knew you were still there.  I see you typing.  Which is very creeperish.

Kirk:  True.  My neighbor can tell the same thing, but he just looks in my windows.  I found a crab in the backyard the other day that a seagull dropped next to my car.

Me:  And then children, he trained the animals to do his bidding and they would bring him treats in honor of his existence.

Kirk:  Don't blog this part...






No comments:

Post a Comment