Search This Blog

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Chronology

There is sometimes a peculiar confusion in the West that equates progress to whatever is recent or whatever is new, and it is time that we understood that progress has nothing to do with the chronology of an idea.
~ Barbara Amiel
- - - - -
 
My parents have taken to giving us checks at the holidays.  I won't say it is as a result of my not wanting any more Dolls from Around the World.  I will simply say I used to get a doll and now I get a check and this happened after I expressed I didn't want the dolls.
 
Anyway, this year when Erik, Kirk and I were there dad said, "If any of those checks are dated 1903 it's because the day I wrote them out was the 110th anniversary of the Wright Brother's first flight."
 
(pause)
 
Of course.  Like we wouldn't have figured that out.