Search This Blog

Friday, December 20, 2013

Corner

If you leave the smallest corner of your head vacant for a moment, other people's opinions will rush in from all quarters.
~ George Bernard Shaw
- - - - -

Know what I don't like about reality TV and realtime news and stuff?  There isn't much creativity in it.  You just see it.  There's no storymaking or hidden meaning derived from a lot of what is out there.  Of course maybe that says more about the consumer of the information and entertainment than the producers.

That poem about Jack Horner in a corner sticking his thumb in a pie and pulling out a plum and what a good boy am I?  You know it? 

Well, allegedly that is about a guy who - smuggling property deeds to London took one of the deeds and claimed the manor on that deed as his own.  That is clever.  The plum is symbolic of the deed or the lead mines on the property and the pie is symbolic of nothing since there was actually a pie involved.

I like that stuff.  It's interesting.  I don't know if I would like plum pie or not.  I'd try it, though.  I liked my mom's plum preserves that one year.  Maybe we used to have a plum tree.  I don't remember now.

I don't remember what Jack being in the corner was about.  I don't remember what that represented.  But I am glad that when you're a kid and you get in trouble sometimes you get sent to the corner instead of the coroner.  I wouldn't want to stand around in time out by a coroner.  That would freak me out.