Search This Blog

Monday, December 9, 2013

Stars

Dwell on the beauty of life.  
Watch the stars and see yourself running with them.
~ Marcus Aurelius
- - - - -

I LOVE stars.  And the moon.  I like seeing them.  Watching them.  Staring at them.  I know a few constellations.  I like identifying the ones I know.  I like that everyone who can see and who has ever been able to see has been able to see the stars at some point.  Right?  Wouldn't that pretty much be true?

I love how they make us feel small and significant at the same time.  Or at least that is what they do for me. I feel small because the sky and the universe and everything that is - seen and not - is huge.  Maybe infinite.  Maybe not.

At the same time I feel significant because I get the opportunity to see them.  To see them for a moment.  And to appreciate that sort of connection I feel with the things big and distant and eternal.

And then, to see a falling star...  I really like that.  I have had a chance to see a few meteor showers.  I loved that.  It's a lot like fireworks.  Not as pattern-y, but similar.

Something to remember, though is that if you catch a falling star and put it in your pocket, you're going to get second- or third-degree burns.

No comments:

Post a Comment