Search This Blog

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Conversation

A good conversation is a dialogue, not a monologue.  That's why there are so few good conversations: due to scarcity, two intelligent talkers seldom meet.
~ Truman Capote
- - - - -

I like good conversation.  Sometimes I have those with myself.  In my own head.  Sometimes I share those conversations with others via social media.  I'm always in my own head.  Which is better than being in other people's heads.  I don't know my way around in there.

Sometimes I get to have good conversations with other people.  Usually I get to talk daily with Leslie and we converse about a variety of topics.  Sometimes I get to talk with her in actual real-live person.  I like that.

I talk with Kirk a lot, but usually via text.  You'd think that doesn't count, but you're wrong.  Because if he and I talk in person I don't always get to talk.  I won't say it's like listening to a monologue with Kirk.  I won't say it because that would be unkind.  Not because it would be untrue.

Then the other night I got to have a dialogue with Rachel.  You know how some - maybe most - people don't like the sound of their own voices?  Well, some of us don't even know the sound of our own voices sometimes.  Rachel and I had been type-communicating, but then she called me.  

Me:  Hello?
Rachel:  (silence)
Me:  Um... Did you call me?
Rachel:  (laughing) You don't sound like yourself.
Me:  What do I sound like?
Rachel:  You sound hoarse.  Are you all right?
Me:  Well, I live alone and I never see anyone during the day, so I don't talk much.

(pause)

The conversation got better from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment