Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Past

Just because we don't understand doesn't mean 
that the explanation doesn't exist.
~ Madeleine L'Engle
- - - - -

I believe that we can often best understand our present by looking carefully at our past.  Where have we been?  What have we seen?  What have we experienced?  Who are the people we have known?

We probably can't ever fully understand everything - particularly in a given moment.  There are too many lenses through which we look - identity, context, environment, blah blah blah.  However, I do think we can come to some understanding of some things in some moments.  Often when engaging with particular experiences or people.

For example, I wonder sometimes how I get the ideas that I get.  How I make the connections between concepts that I make.  How my mind works.  Then I see or experience something and it gives me some clarity.

For example, the following is an email I got from my father:

I read an article that had an opening line you might want to use to start one of your blogs.  It went something like " I just noticed it has been quite awhile since I have written anything about moths."  
You can easily finish the blog from there.
 
  Love,
  Dad

That's probably part of the reason I am the way I am.