Search This Blog

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Dock

For whatever we lose (like you or me),
It's always our self we find in the sea.
~ e.e. cummings
- - - - -

Do we like docks because they are a place from which we can launch or because they are a place to which we can return.  Wait.  We don't like docks?  Oh.  Never mind.

On the other hand, I don't think I'll let you speak for me.  I do like docks.  They are like bridges without follow through.  Bridges who don't have a desire to finish what they started.  Bridges that get you part way there and then leave you to your own devices.

Or maybe bridges are like docks that don't know when to stop.

Or maybe they're just completely different things.

I like docks.  I like going out on the water and looking beyond.  And looking back.  You know they say you shouldn't burn bridges, but I think even more you shouldn't burn docks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment