Search This Blog

Friday, May 15, 2015

LLibrary

The llama is a woolly sort of fleecy hairy goat, with an indolent expression and an undulating throat; like an unsuccessful literary man.
~ Hilaire Belloc
- - - - -

I like learning about Leslie's job. She gets to find and share information with people. She learns about lots of interesting things in her job.

But being a librarian isn't glamorous and exciting ALL the time.

One of the things she does is work as an online reference librarian. I don't fully understand it, but it has to do with being online and getting questions from all over and from all different types of people.  She said, "Most of the time it is interesting and we help people with different things."

Then there are other times.

"Sometimes they call and want to know if the puppet show is still on at their public library.  How the hell should I know? I don't care about the puppet show at the public library!" She added, "Then there are days that third grade teachers just set their kids free on us and we get questions like 'Llamas?'"

I couldn't stop laughing when she said that. I think it was more about the voice she created for the third-grader sending in the question, but I really thought it was funny.

I was actually asking so that I could go in when she was working and ask her random questions like, "Where are the green books?" or "How do I help my community ban books?" or "I am starting to believe everything I read and I need help.  What should I do?"

Instead, now I want to go online while she's working and just ask, "Llamas?"

No comments:

Post a Comment