Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Wind


That is the one unforgivable sin in any society.  Be different and be damned!
~ Margaret Mitchell
- - - - -

Last night Leslie was talking about sending her sister's birthday gift.  Granny asked, "What did you send her?"  Leslie said, "All the best movies from 1965 - except The Sound of Music.  I assume she already has that."

"Oh," said Granny nodding and smiling.  "That's nice."

"Like Dr. Zhivago," Leslie added.  "And the others from that year.  I forget now what they were."

"Gone with the Wind?" I asked.

"NO!" retorted Leslie sternly.  That wasn't made in 1965!"

"Oh, that's right," I conceded.  It was in black and white so it had to be earlier."

"What?!" shrieked Leslie.  "It was in color.  Gone with the Wind was in color!"

"I know," I chuckled.  I was just teasing.  "There was a fire and it was the Civil War -- or was it the Revolutionary War?  I forget."

"How can you say those things?" Leslie scolded.  "Don't you know how important that movie was?  It won so many awards and it is very important culturally and historically in terms of what it achieved."

"I know," I said, trying to console her.  "Like the music.  And the dancing.  It won all the awards for that, right?  Is that the movie the Talking Heads wrote 'Burning Down the House' for?  Or was it a different movie."

After that we kind of quit talking about Gone with the Wind. I don't know why, though.  I thought Leslie loved that movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment