Search This Blog

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Cursewords




When a toddler uses profanity, don't make a big deal about it. If you do, you give the child more power. After all, it's only a word - one that won't do much harm to anybody. In fact, if you think about it, a nasty word is a step up from hitting or biting someone. So look at it as a sign of growth.
~ Lawrence Balter
- - - - -

Mom used to get on us for swearing. I mean, it's not like we went around swearing all the time. Well, I didn't. I was the good one. Maybe Erik did. Maybe they gave up by the time Kirk came around. I don't know. Those are their stories to tell.

Now back to me...  In my recollection, Mom didn't want us to swear. She would always say, "People who swear are just showing their lack of vocabulary."

I wish I would have thought of it at the time.  I would have asked, "What the $%@# does vocabulary mean?"

Pause.

On second thought...  I'm not sure that would have gone over very well. And I never would have said that. I was the good child.

I mean. AM. I AM the good child. Except in adult form. 

Sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment