Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Librarians

A single conversation across the table with a wise person is worth a month's study of books.
~ Chinese Proverb
- - - - -

We were waiting at the post office so I could mail a package to my brother Erik. There were two people in front of us - maybe they were trying to get passport photos? I'm not sure. Then an older woman squeezed past us to stand with them and complain with them about not being able to get a passport photo. Then an older man squeezed past us so he could stand with and complain with them, too.

The couple who had been there first were younger. I don't know - 20-something? Maybe they were getting passports for a school trip. Or a honeymoon. The guy was tall and thin and had long hair he wore on top of his head. I mean, in a bun - not just that the hair was on top of his head.

The woman behind us whispered to Leslie, "I'm an ex-hippy.  I like his hair in a tight bun." 

Leslie said that she thought for a moment about how librarians often wear their hair in a similar way.  She told me later, "I almost said, 'Well, I'm a librarian. I like tight buns, too,' but I decided not to."

I only was partially listening because I was wondering what one does to actually leave the hippy movement.

The post office and libraries are fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment