Search This Blog

Friday, January 22, 2016

Art

For most people, art is only valuable if other people say it is; and artists are only worthwhile if they are either rich, famous, or dead.
~ Wayne Gerard Trotman
- - - - -

I think approachability is a very important part of thinking, philosophy, revolution, and art. If what you are sharing or trying to accomplish isn't accessible by all people, what good is it really? I worry about the continuation of elitism that separates intellectualism from the lived experience of most people. Until we find - and USE - a common language that bridges across the divides of education, socio-economic status, and the multiple identities that we all have, then we are not positioned to create sustained positive change. 

Case in point...  Leslie and I went to see a concert that was in an old school building (Postmodern Jukebox - Thanks Kirk and Jared!). We got there early because we weren't sure how long it would take us to get there. The school had been converted into an arts center of some kind and there was art upstairs. The image above is one of the pieces that was there.  

I overheard a man say to his friends, "That's about the best chicken drawing I ever saw."

I had to agree. Not that I've seen a lot of chicken drawings - but it was good. That said, I also had to disagree because it was a painting not a drawing.

(pause)

Maybe there I've exemplified just what I was talking about before.

No comments:

Post a Comment