Search This Blog

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Colors

Nature always wears the colors of the spirit.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
- - - - -

Someone posted something the other day about the fact that we appreciate different colors in everything except people. The saying, "You can't judge a book by its cover" is also a familiar saying. Yet we do judge people by their colors. We think thoughts about their intelligence, their generosity, their ability to contribute to society.

And we all fall into traps when it comes to the color of people. Again, a lot of people have said, "I don't see color." Now some people don't.  My brother Erik is colorblind.  Actually - not philosophically. But that is not what I mean.

No matter how hard we try, we cannot see beyond on our own experiences.  The important part is the trying. Making an effort to understand others regardless of how they look or where they come from.

This is true for me. I hope that I practice what I preach.  That said, I have to admit that I am still a little afraid of and weirded out by those people in Blue Man Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment