Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Awake

Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.
~ Henry David Thoreau
- - - - -

I think that we have people in our lives for different reasons. Some people are in our lives to lift us up. Others to challenge us. Others to make us more creative. Others to make us think about things in different ways. If we are really lucky, we have a few people we can stand most of the time who do multiple things to make us think in different ways simultaneously.

It's not just the ways in which people add to and challenge us, though. In truth it is also - perhaps most importantly - the ways in which they are available to us. Are they there when we need them? That is a part of the test of their relationship with us.

A few months ago I had an experience and I needed to share it. I needed to share it with a person who would understand. I needed to share it with a person who would be there at an odd time of day. I needed to share it with someone who would realize how beautifully the pieces of the universe had merged together to bring me a unique moment.

I know that happens  in every moment, but we notice some more than others.

Anyway, the person I chose was Kirk. Turns out I don't think he was awake when I wrote, but he did respond later. And it also is fine that it was later since I was on an airplane for a lot of the day after I sent the message.

Me: Because you're the only person I know who would appreciate this (and who might actually be up)...  Drove to the airport this morning to go to Las Vegas to see Reyes and Catrina. On the way - as I was very tired because I had to get up at 3 AM - I heard "Hold On" by Wilson Phillips.  And if you haven't seen "Bridesmaids," I now realize that this is not going to make sense to you.

Pay attention to moments. Share them wisely. Make the most of your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment