Search This Blog

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Downton

He's lived a fiction.  And, of course, he thinks that if you love someone enough, they will love you.  And if you steer things enough, things will, under your control, come right.  And this is the fiction of the controller: A controller thinks that they can control their life into what they want it to be.  But their life will never be what they want it to be until the stop controlling, and that is their journey.
~ Julian Fellowes
- - - - -

So there is this show on public television called "Downton Abbey."  I'm sure not many people have heard of it since not many people watch public television.  Anyway, it's pretty good.  I didn't want to watch it at first, but when both Leslie and Kirk encouraged me to watch it, I started watching it.  

Anyway, I like to talk about it with Leslie.  I don't watch TV when it runs, but I watch episodes online later.  Sometimes Leslie and I discuss what happens on the show.  The other night we were talking and she said something about something (I'm keen for details), and I said, "I think that Mr. Downton has really mismanaged things and he needs to let Matthew fix them."

She responded and said that things were definitely mismanaged and that Tom was going to take over parts of the estate and that would be good and then she interrupted herself and said, "His name isn't Mr. Downton!"

I knew that.  I just like saying it.  Maybe I'll start asking her which one of the daughters is Abby Downton.

And what if your name WAS Abby Downton?  And then if you were part of some organization where they called you by your last name first and they called you, "Downton, Abby!"  You'd probably think that would really get on Abby Downton's nerves.  But it wouldn't because she has a good sense of humor.

Anyway, the Downton's have had a tough year.  I hope things settle down for them in the future.  But then it would be a boring show about rich English people gossiping all the time.  And it would get canceled because no one would watch something like that.

1 comment:

  1. I love Downton and I think that when I get a pet I will name my pet Downton Abby! LOL

    ReplyDelete