Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Change

If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone, somewhere is making a penny.
~ Steven Wright
- - - - -

One night I was walking home from teaching and was talking to Leslie on the phone.  She was telling me about something.  I can't remember what it was.  That doesn't make me a bad person, but it does make a bad listener.  Sometimes.  Other times I am a GREAT listener.  In my defense, I was pretty wound up because I love teaching and I get sort of an adrenaline rush from it.

Also, why are you so judgy?  You should be quiet and listen to my story.

Wow.  Ironic.

Anyway, she was telling me something and I interrupted (which I don't like it when other people do it to me, but I admit I did it to her).

"A firefly!!"  I shouted.  "I just read that they want people to count fireflies because they think they're disappearing around here.  I love fireflies!!"

"I like them, too," she concurred cooly.

"I'm sorry," I apologized.  "I completely interrupted you.  You were telling me something.  You know that is just like that 'LOOK!  SQUIRREL!!' joke.  Anyway, I'm sorry."

"That's okay," she said graciously.  "I was --"

"I JUST FOUND A QUARTER!"  I interrupted again.

But - seriously - I found a quarter on the ground in the dark.  And it was heads up.  I'm the luckiest person I know!

(pause)

And Leslie is the most patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment