Search This Blog

Saturday, November 7, 2015

Believe

I had therefore to remove knowledge, in order to make room for belief.
~ Immanuel Kant
- - - - -

My dad died about a year ago.  I don't know what happens when someone dies.  I know that I believe they sort of stick around.  They influence how we see things - even if they aren't physically with us.  If they were good people, they help us think and do good things and be good people.  If they were bad people, we're relieved they are gone and maybe they inspire us to be better people.

If my father left us anything, it was a sense of humor.  He liked to make people laugh.

I'm not sure if he would think the following exchange was funny -- wait.  I'm actually quite positive that he would.  It's a conversation that happened within 48 hours after he passed away.

Kirk:  I just got two new friend requests.

Me:  Let me guess -- Stephanie and Allison (our cousins).

Kirk:  Yep.  You, too?

Me:  Yep.

Mom:  Why?  Did you post something..?

Kirk:  No.

Mom:  Why did they friend request you?

Me:  Uh...  Because our dad just died?

Mom:  (laughing hysterically)  I didn't even think of that.

Oh, I forgot to mention that Mom has a pretty great sense of humor, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment