Search This Blog

Saturday, November 7, 2015

Mulch

A friendship can weather most things and thrive in thin soil; but it needs a little mulch of letters and phone calls and small, silly presents every so often - just to save it from drying out completely.
~ Pam Brown
- - - - -
I like the idea of a friendship being something we have to tend and cultivate and care for.  "Mulch of letters" implies one might shred the letters and scatter them on the ground.  Not sure I like that.  I prefer to think that my letters are mostly framed and hung or sold at auction.

Anyway, I try to tend to my friendships.  I do better sometimes than other times.  I don't necessarily think that you should carry this comparison too far, though.  Friendships may be like plants, but I don't want to do "Naked Gardening Day" with my friendships.  My friends don't want that, either.  Which is why we are friends.

And also, so we are pretty just making up holidays all the time now, right?  "Naked Gardening Day?" "Red Nose Day?"

Those aren't things.

No comments:

Post a Comment