Search This Blog

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Truisms

If a person shows that such things as wood, stones, and the like, being many are also one, we admit that he shows the coexistence of the one and many, but he does not show that the many are one or the one many; he is uttering not a paradox but a truism.
~ Plato
- - - - - 

I like the word truism because it sounds important.  It has to do with truth.  But when you realize what it really means, I hope that people don't think I share a lot of truisms because apparently - while true - truisms aren't that interesting.  

Maybe it's hard to tell the difference between a paradox and a truism.  Or a profundity.  Or a syllogism.  

My point is that I overhear things all the time and am not sure if there is a deeper meaning and I'm missing it.  For example, the following exchange --

Person 1: How are you doin'?

Person 2: Better than yesterday.

Person 1: Why's that?

Person 2: I'm not at work hungover.

Person 1: I hear that.  I'm a roofer.  Nothin' worse than vein' hungover cookin' in the hot sun on a roof.

See what I mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment