Search This Blog

Monday, December 31, 2012

Doors

The traveler has to knock at every alien door to come to his own, and he has to wonder through all the outer worlds to reach the innermost shrine at the end.
~ Rabindranath Tagore
- - - - -

Though New Year's Eve is my least favorite holiday (it seems mostly like a socially-condoned excuse for bad behavior), I do like the end of the year as a time of reflection.  And a time of preparation for the year to come.  New doors to go through, if you will.  Changes to make.  Adventures to take.  Ideas to have.

You know the saying, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out?"  I have been giving that a little thought lately.  It is a very passive-aggressive phrase.  It sort of sounds like the person cares and doesn't want you to be hit by a door (or whatever object), but usually it isn't caring at all.  And also, most doors to the outside open OUT, so if a door hits you on the way out, someone behind you must have slammed it into you as you were walking away.

Does that make sense?  Try to picture it.  Maybe it will then.  (pause while you picture it).  Okay, maybe it still doesn't make sense.

Let's try this instead...  I think that when we are leaving a year behind us we should be more excited about moving ahead than we are about holding on to the past.  I have always thought - when I face huge challenges or struggles in my life - that difficulties occur so that we never want to go back again.  So we are always forward-focused.

With that in mind, I welcome 2013.  I appreciate the good and the bad of 2012, though I I hope to have learned enough to not replicate some of those negative experiences.  And I hope to appreciate the good enough to try and do more good and create more positive things in the future.

And also I hope everyone around me has learned enough to try to do more good for me and create more positive things in my future, too.  I think you all can do that if you really try.

No comments:

Post a Comment