Search This Blog

Monday, December 10, 2012

Patriotic

We know Virginia is in NASCAR country.
~ Patrick Henry
- - - - -

I guess maybe you can put a flag on anything and people will think you're patriotic.  Even honey buns.  I guess I don't really understand what patriotism is.  It does remind me of the talk by some people (who referred to themselves as patriots during the election season).  Those same people are now threatening - in some states - to secede.  It's funny how when one party loses, people threaten to leave - to secede or to move to Canada - like they want us there.  Or would let us in. 

And then I wonder if people know what the word means.  While "secede" and "succeed" sound a lot alike, they are not the same thing.

As for the quote above...  well, it is listed online, so it must be true.  And I checked and it even cited the Patrick Henry - statesman, patriot, and orator as the source.  Without computers, I wouldn't have realized that NASCAR is more than 250 years old and actually predates the invention of the gas-fired internal combustion engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment