Search This Blog

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Animals

He wears a ten dollar hat on a five cent head.
~ American Idiom
- - - - -

My friend Liz wrote me and asked, "Would squirrels look better wearing crowns?"  So, I had to stop and think.  If I saw a squirrel wearing a crown, I know I would notice that.  Would I think, "Hm.  That squirrel looks better than other squirrels?"  or "Wow.  That squirrel looks better than I do?"  I can't say for sure.

Well, actually, I would probably think, "Holy kamoley!  A squirrel wearing a crown!  I can't wait to tell Liz I actually saw a squirrel wearing a crown!"

It did get me to thinking, though, about whether or not ALL animals would look better wearing crowns.  Maybe they would.  Not every animal has a good headshape for crown wearing, though.  Some would look better in ball caps or those kind of head things that dancers in Las Vegas wear.  Or birthday party hats.

Ultimately, I think you're just asking for trouble, though.  There is bound to be envy around who has the nicer crown or hat.  And the donkeys and goats might eat the hats off other animals.  And somehow I think it would create confusion around the idea of "pulling a rabbit out of a hat."

Finally, for the record, if I opened a store which made hats for animals, I would definitely call it "The Animilliner." 


No comments:

Post a Comment