Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Walk

An early morning walk is a blessing for the whole day.
~ Henry David Thoreau
- - - - -
 
When you go for a walk early on the day after a blizzard, you see things undisturbed.  I know by the time I get home tonight, the yards and walks and other places - smooth and quiet and white this morning - will be ruptured and lived upon and yellowed.  That's okay.  Signs of life are good.  It is nice to see things when they are soft and silent, though.
 
Not everyone loves winter.  I really don't, but I am trying.  Ebony said when she gets up after a blizzard she thinks, "Why do I live in Iowa?!"  The last time she thought that, right afterward she encountered a woman on campus clearing the sidewalks. The woman cleared a path just for her.  "That," Ebony added, "is why I live in Iowa.  Because the people are so nice."
 
People here are nice.  Especially if Ebony is yelling at us telling us we better clear the walk for her or she's going to sue everyone.  I'm not saying that is what she said to the woman shoveler.  I'm also not saying that she didn't say that.  I'm just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment