Search This Blog

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Bridge

Let every man praise the bridge that carries him over.
~ English proverb
- - - - -

For some reason, Leslie and I have seen a lot of different bridges together.  She wasn't with me when I drove down to see the Bridges of Madison County a few weeks ago, but I will take her there sometime.  And it's not because The Bridges of Madison County is her favorite book and movie.  Because it's not.  Trust me, you don't even want to joke about that.  

I guess they made the bridges covered to protect the wooden trusses from the weather so that the bridges would last longer.  Also, I think it probably made the journey more interesting for the horses who seem to enjoy having tunnel vision.  At least people put those blinder things on horses a lot.

One final benefit to the covered bridges is that the bandits couldn't hide in them.  Of course,the bandits could block each end and you were trapped there.  Like what happened to Sonny in "The Godfather."  Only about 40 years earlier.  With horses instead of cars.  And without the machine gun part. 

No comments:

Post a Comment