Search This Blog

Saturday, December 26, 2015

Boots

When the itch is inside the boot, scratching the outside provides little consolation.
~ Chinese Proverb
- - - - -

One of the last years I believed in Santa Claus (it has to be at least four or five years ago now), I remember being in my room and waiting for  him to come and bring presents.  My parents told me earlier that evening that if I didn't go to sleep - if I was still awake when Santa got here - he wouldn't leave any presents.

I was in my room trying to sleep and then I heard heavy boots walking around the house.  I was sure it was Santa.  I was also sure I was completely busted.  I mean, if "he knows if you you've been bad or good, he sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake" all of that stuff...  Well, I figured he must know that I was faking being asleep.  He was Santa for goodness sake.

Well, either he didn't know I was faking OR he let me off the hook. I'm not sure which. Or maybe there wasn't any such thing as Santa after all.

We will never know.  

Ultimately, what I learned is that I was probably the most wonderful child during the most wonderful time of the year.  I got presents.  Santa didn't leave me coal.  Even if I was awake and wasn't supposed to be, he knew how special I was. I am.

Me too, Santa.  I know how special I am, too.  Ultimately we both learned a valuable lesson.  That I am wonderful.

(pause)

I guess that should be we both RE-learned a lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment