Search This Blog

Monday, December 14, 2015

Cookbooks

Cookbooks are almost a substitution for a lost sense of culture. People want some other life than the one they're living, so they buy a cookbook with pictures and imagine themselves as a part of that life.
~ Mark Miller
- - - - -

We are in the process of helping Leslie's mom move.  As a result, I have discovered that I have a love for old cookbooks.  Just look at this masterpiece (see image above).  These are not just desserts, they are MAGICAL desserts.  And they are so easy - all you have told is whip and chill them.  Sorry - even easier - just whip 'n chill them.

Whatever happened to the days of a simple yet beautiful fruit mold?  Or a parfait?  Or whatever those yellow things are?

I remember once when I was a kid my grandmother tried something like one of these, but it was a "savory dish."  I know it had jello and either chicken or turkey and celery in it.  I also remember gagging a little when I ate it.  I have never been a picky eater, but it was not my favorite thing I have ever eaten.  (obviously...  I still remember it about 40 years later). I also remember that me gagging on that food was not my dad's favorite thing that I ever did as a child.

I should note that while I feel a strange attraction to these old and...  unorthodox cookbooks, I am not sure I will actually try out too many of the recipes.  And also, I'm not sure how much cooking is involved in a whip 'n chill cookbook recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment