Search This Blog

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Surprises

Engage people with what they expect; it is what they
are able to discern and confirms their projections.  It settles
them into predictable patterns of response, occupying their
minds while you wait for the extraordinary moment --
that which they cannot anticipate.
~  Sun Tzu
- - - - -

I like surprises.  Well, I don't know if I like to be surprised, but I like to surprise other people.  And I believe that the key to buying someone a good gift - something that will surprise and please them - is simply to pay attention.  I'm a pretty good attention-payer when it comes to gift-giving.  I'm not always a pretty good attention-payer when it comes to administrative details.  But that should surprise no one.

Anyway, last year for Kirk's birthday we ordered something and had it shipped to his house.  I think it was penguin glasses.  I don't remember.  That's not important.  What's important is that this is the exchange I had with Jared about it...

Me:  Hey.  Am having Kirk's birthday gift from Leslie and me shipped to you.  Don't let him open it.  If he begs too much, put a Snoopy show on TV to distract him.  Deal?

Jared:  Deal.

Me:  You're the best.

Jared:  I know.  And I'm taking a screenshot of this to prove it, in case you deny it later.

Me: Okay.  I'm drunk and this is Leslie.

Me:  Just kidding.

Me:  Leslie's not drunk.

Me:  She's mad.

No comments:

Post a Comment