Search This Blog

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Knowledge

Our feelings are our most genuine paths to knowledge.
~ Audre Lourde
- - - - - -

Leslie is very smart.  She teaches me things every day.  I think about 90% of what she teaches me is true.  Which is about the opposite of the things I share with her.  Maybe 10% of that is true.  Or maybe 90% is REALLY true, but people only believe 10% of it right now because the world hasn't quite caught up with my knowledge.

Anyway, the other day we were talking about language.  I forget what I asked her - something about a foreign language, I think.  Oh, I remember...  I was watching a German film with subtitles and there were some words the same in English as in German, but they weren't words I would have expected.  I can't think of what they were now.  But that's not my point.

My point is that Leslie then talked about how English is a mix of a lot of other languages and we use words other languages created.  I knew some of that, but then she said and there are some things there is only one word for.  "Like 'helicopter' for example.  There is no other word for 'helicopter' other than 'helicopter'," she said.

She is a really good teacher.  And so now I can speak every language.

No comments:

Post a Comment