Search This Blog

Friday, December 4, 2015

Play

Combinatory play seems to be the essential feature in productive thought.
~ Albert Einstein
- - - - -

Play is where we learn most everything.  We learn rules.  We learn what rules matter.  We learn who cares about the rules.  We learn whether we care about winning or we care about playing.  We learn what it's like to be a part of a team or apart from a team.  We learn if we are cheaters.  We learn if we are good at cheating.  We learn if we feel guilt when we cheat or just when we get caught cheating.

We also learn what kinds of people we care about and what people we don't care to be around.  Like the other night when Leslie and I overheard a woman say, "Right outside on the playground, when I was in fourth grade, he gave me this little purple pin.  I still have it.  I should have brought it tonight. He's in jail for murder now, though."

No comments:

Post a Comment